Prince Philip No Longer Making Public Appearances


Buckingham Palace announced on Thursday that Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth, is stepping down from all public royal engagements starting in August. The Duke of Edinburgh will continue to attend previously made arrangements between now and August, but will no longer accept new arrangements starting in the fall.

The 96-year-old Duke lightheartedly remarked that he “can’t stand up much” in response to a man’s statement at a royal lunch that he was “sorry [Philip is] standing down.”

Queen Elizabeth is in full support of the decision, and will continue to show up to new engagements herself. Broadcaster Gyles Brandreth told reporters that he could confirm the Prince was not stepping down because of health concerns.

“Her Majesty will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements with the support of members of the Royal Family,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement.

“From his steadfast support for Her Majesty the Queen to his inspirational Duke of Edinburgh Awards and his patronage of hundreds of charities and good causes, his contribution to our United Kingdom, the Commonwealth and the wider world will be of huge benefit to us all for years to come,” Prime Minister Theresa May said in a statement.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *