Anthony Scaramucci has resigned as White House Communications Director. Freshly minted Chief of Staff John Kelly pushed for Scaramucci’s ouster and it occurred on Kelly’s first day. Scaramucci had been working in the White House for ten days before he left the position. However, Scaramucci had technically not even started yet as White House Communications Director; he was due to start on August 15.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement, “Anthony Scaramucci will be leaving his role as White House Communications Director. Mr. Scaramucci felt it was best to give Chief of Staff John Kelly a clean slate and the ability to build his own team. We wish him all the best.”
Scaramucci is the latest in a string of high profile departures. Press Secretary Sean Spicer resigned from his position in protest of Scaramucci’s appointment. Chief of Staff Reince Priebus was then forced out last week, shortly after Scaramucci unleashed a vulgar attack on Priebus during an interview with The New Yorker.
When Scaramucci was first announced, the White House also said that he would report directly to President Donald Trump, not to Priebus as usual. However, Sanders has now said that all staffers, including strategist Steve Bannon, daughter Ivanka Trump, and son-in-law Jared Kushner, would report to Kelly.
“Gen. Kelly has the full authority to operate within the White House, and all staff will report to him.”
The New Yorker interview caused Kelly to sour on Scaramucci and view him as undisciplined. However, the interview also angered the President and his family because of the resulting perception that Trump condoned and encouraged the style of talk.
“The President certainly felt that Anthony’s comments were inappropriate for someone in that position and he didn’t want to burden Gen. Kelly also with that line of succession,” Sanders said on Monday at the podium.
President Trump will now yet again have to find a White House communications director. Spicer served as communications director twice during his tenure, interrupted by Mike Dubke’s brief tenure as communications director. The next communications director will be Trump’s fourth, the same number of communications directors former President George W. Bush had during his eight years.